The South Island is dominating a survey of the top 10 “must-do’s” for Kiwis.
Only three places on the AA Tourism list, compiled from 65,000 online responses, are in the North Island.
The Bay of Islands, the Polynesian Spa in Rotorua, and Cathedral Cove in the Coromandel, did not even make the top three.
Number one is Abel Tasman National Park, followed by Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa 2nd, and then the Abel Tasman Coast Track New Zealand.
The survey on the 101 Must-Do’s for Kiwis website is ongoing with people still able to vote.
AA Tourism General Manager of Marketing Rebecca Cherry said she was not surprised that Abel Tasman National Park was at number one, and has encouraged people to keep voting.
“With so much to see and do in New Zealand we want Kiwis to rate their favourite places and experiences, so that others are encouraged to give something new a go,” she said.
The current top 20 of the 101 Must-Do’s in New Zealand
- Abel Tasman National Park
- Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa
- Abel Tasman Coast Track (54km, 3-5 days)
- Bay of Islands
- Alpine Springs Spa and Winter Park Lake Tekapo
- Polynesian Spa, Rotorua
- Mt Hutt Methven
- Cathedral Cove, Coromandel
- Arthur’s Pass National Park
- The Otago Central Rail Trail (150km)
- 360 Discovery Cruises
- Arline Fishing Charters, Paihia
- Hot Water Beach natural hot springs, Coromandel
- Auckland Domain
- BBQ fresh shellfish gathered from the beach, Coromandel
- 42 Traverse, Tongariro
- Akaroa Harbour Nature Cruises
- Kelly Tarlton’s Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World, Auckland
- Air Force Museum, Christchurch
- Catch a Kingfish, Coromandel
If you would like your Hanmer Springs event listed please contact us.